Introduction: SCREW DRIVE RC TANK
In this tutorial I'm going to show you how to make a SCREW DRIVE RC TANK.
For many, this creation will undoubtedly be a new experience. Many people have never seen this creation before. This creation is called SCREW TANK because It is used to screw-type wheels, instead of normal wheels.
It can go forwards, backwards, to the left, to the right or spin on its own axis....and any combination of the above. A full sized one (obviously built to higher standards using different materials) can go just about anywhere on land, water, swamp, snow etc if the screw can engage it, the vehicle will move!
If you want to know more , search "screw drive vehicles"
I have simply explained step by step how to make this RC SCREW TANK .
After you referring this article , you can make it easily by yourself.
Items that we need
- 0.5 inches PVC pipe ( length 5 feet )
- 0.5 inches PVC Elbows * 6
- 0.5 inches PVC T connector * 4
- 1.5 inches height, thin body nails : 200g
- TT gear motor * 2
- 7.4V 2000mah Li-Po battery . ( any type of DC power source between 5V and 10V , you can get this project)
- at least 4 channel RC receiver and transmitter ( here I used small RC car's transmitter and receiver)
- ON/OFF switch
- some wires
- 8 feet long water level tube ( outside diameter 1/4 inches.)
Tools that we need
- Hot glue gun
- metal saw ( any type of saw that can be able to cut PVC pipes )
- soldering iron
- 3D printer
3D printed parts
You will also need to 3D print a few parts for this project. You can print them by using PLA with 20% infill rate.
Step 1: Build the Screw Tank's Wheels_Part 01
- First you need to cut two PVC pipes each twenty-one centimeters ( 21 cm ) long. ( figure 01)
- Then Divide the above PVC pipes as shown in the figure 2
- Now we need to mark a spiral path on the PVC pipe. For it divide the middle part of 18 cm length, into four equal parts. ( figure 03 )
Step 2: Build the Screw Tank's Wheels_Part 02
- Now take the black tape and stick it on the pipe in the form of sirpill.
For it : Start with the nearest point on one end of the pipe ( picture 01 ) and stick the black tape so that there is one full circle for each section( picture 02 ) . Also the spiral path should be clockwise direction.
- Stick the black tape in the anti-clockwise direction on the other PVC pipe. ( picture 04 )
Step 3: Build the Screw Tank's Wheels_Part 03
- Now drill small holes along the spiral line by using the soldering iron. Refer the pictures given above then you can get a clear idea about how to do it
( These holes are used for ease of nailing on PVC pipe. So don't make those holes too big )
Step 4: Fixing the Nails on the Pipe
- put a mark on each nail 3cm below from the cap of the nail( Figure 01 ).
- Now insert the nails in to the holes so that, a 3cm long section of the nail is at the the top( figure 02 ).
Step 5: Connecting 3D Printed Parts With the Pipe
- Fix the 3D printed parts ( ST002 and ST003 ) by using any type of glue( here I used Hot glue ).
Step 6: Rearrange the Nails
- Now slightly lower the nails at both ends of the screw tank's wheel that we made above
( There is no definite scale to lower the nail. Just lower it as shown in the above pictures)
Step 7: Final Part of the Wheel
- Get a water level tube ( Outside diameter : 1/4 inches ).
- cut the level tube as shown in the picture 02.
- connect the cut tube above the every nail's caps as shown in the picture 03.
( here, heat the tube slightly( for it use a hot gun or any other method) after connected the rubber tube above the nail's caps. Then the tube will rest more stable. )
Step 8: Make the Screw Tank Frame
- Cut the PVC pipe into pieces according to the dimensions shown in the figure 01.
- Now make the frame using elbows and T connectors as shown in the figure02 , figure 03 , figure 04 and figure 05
don't glue the parts together using any glue until the frame is completely finished. Also all elbows should be in the same plane and T connectors should be 90 degrees to the plane.
Step 9: Assembling the Motor and Screw Wheels With the Frame
- Take an inch and a half long nail and cut it 25 cm below the cap ( figure 01)
- Then connect the above cut nail with the ST004 3D printed part( figure 01 )
- Then fix it to the elbow of the frame as shown in the figure 02 by using hot glue or any other glue.
- connect the TT gear motor with the ST001 part by using super glue or hot glue ( figure 03 )
- Take the TT gear motor and connect it with the screw tank's wheel as shown in the figure 04 ( If the terminals of the motor in your TT gear motor are located as shown in picture 01 of the figure 05, change it to picture 08 of the figure 05. )
- Now connect the motor kit to the frame through the frame's nails( figure 06 ) and attach the motor side to the frame by using tight nylon cables( figure 07 ) . considerable : When mounting, insert a packaging foam between the motor and the frame( figure 08 ) . Then unwanted vibrations of the motor never comes to the frame.
- Install the other wheel in the same manner.
connect the axis of the wheel and the horizontal PVC pipe of the frame keeping them parallel to each other( figure 09 )
Ok.... a lot of work on our project is done . Now let's go to our last section, the circuit and wiring section.
Step 10: Electronics Part
- Make the circuit as shown in the figure 01.
- Here I connected the battery and the receiver circuit to the frame by using a piece of plywood with black stickers on it ( figure 03 )
Step 11: Let's Check the Final Output
Ok.... our project is finished. let's check its appearance and how it works.
you can watch this video to get a more clear idea about How to make this......
THANK YOU !!
Second Prize in the
PVC Speed Challenge